Thursday, January 1, 2009

COCONUT MASKS











COCONUT MASKS are one of my favorite forms of Mexican folk art.  I've fallen in love with the long, delicate, expressive eyelashes and cute, puckered lips.  Families in Guerrero, Mexico have been producing these amazing masks for generations.  They are made by splitting a coconut in half, hollowing out the center, and then embellishing with seed pods, pine needles and other indigenous plant life.  Layers of paint make them very colorful and shiny.  

I was lucky enough to find a cotton print that was a sea of these little faces.  I've made ornaments from a sun and a devil.  I'm so happy that they are
 so faithful to the real thing... check out the lashes!  I'll be making some aprons inspired by my favorite masks, the fruit and vegetable people, soon.  Those will be double cute - promise!




If you don't have any plans that take you to Mexico any time soon, I've found these on-line stores that carry these incredibly charming masks (the real ones - not mine which can be found on etsy.com).

Lee Carter Company (www.leecartercompany.com)

La Fuente
(www.lafuente.com)

Casa Mexicana Folk Art
(www.casamexicanafolkart.com)